Inside of Istanbul Things to Know Before you go, will be much better and you can make the things easy and have a great travel with this knowledge and also things to know will be useful for you in Istanbul or All around Turkey.
Things to Know Before you Go - Before you visit Istanbul
- 112 for Ambulance
- 110 for Fire
- 155 for Police
1 - Airports in Istanbul
- Istanbul offers 2 airports. One on the European side, the Ataturk airport and one on the Asian side, the Sabiha Gocken Airport.
2 - Visiting Istanbul
- The best period to visit Istanbul is during Spring and especially May.
3 - Wearing in Istanbul
- Visitors can wear anything they want, as if they were to visit a European city
4 - Transportation in Istanbul.
- An easy way to get to the city center (Sultanahmet ) from the airports, is with the Shuttels buses. You can find them right outside the airport and each ticket costs 30TL from Ataturk and 40TL from Sabiha (per person) also from Sultanahmet to those airports.
- An easy way to get to the city center (Taksim) from the airports, is with the Havas buses. You can find them right outside the airport and each ticket costs 20TL from Ataturk and 30TL from Sabiha (per person) also from Sultanahmet to those airports.
- For your transfers you can buy the Istanbul Card. Load it with TL and use it for all public transportation means. Each route costs 4.30TL.
- Istanbul is so crowded, you may wait 10 - 15 minutes and more while you are waiting for the transportation.
- There are ferries every 20 minutes, which connect the European with the Asian side of the city from different Town of Europ or Asia.
4 - 1 Taxis
- In order to avoid a taxi scam, you should either ask from the driver to use the meter or prearrange the amount to be paid before you enter the taxi.
- It is always better to let your reception to call taxi for you.
5 - Bazaars in Istanbul
- There are 2 big covered markets in the city.
- The Grand Bazaar which is the bigest Bazaar and it is so crowded.
- The Spice Bazaar which is the second bigest Bazaar in Istanbul.
- When you are around the those bazaar you will see lots of other shops on the street kind of Bazaars in the streets of Istanbul.
6 - Getting into the Mosques
- In order to enter mosque, you should follow some rules.
- First of all you must take off your shoes and secondly
- if you are a woman, you must wear a scarf to cover your head and neck
7 - Money
- Although Euro and Dollars are widely accepted.
- Or You can exchange your currency to Turkish Lira.
- There are exchange offices all over the city.
8 - Safety
- Istanbul is one of the safest major cities in Europe with a relatively low incidence of violent crimes
9 - The most convenient areas to stay during your travel to Istanbul
10 - Visa
- You can get an e-Visa before your arrival in Istanbul. Check here for details: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
11 - Museums stay open
- During the Summer 18:00, After 17:00 you will not be allowded to get in.
- During the Winter 17:00, After 16:00 you will not be allowded to get in.
12 - Beggars
- Many beggars on the roads. If you feel you want to help them, either give them money or food.
13 - Communication
- There are 3 telecommunication stores: Vodafone, Turkcell and Turk Telekom(Avea). In order to buy a Turkish number or internet, you will need your passport.
14 - Toilets (WC)
- Public toilets are all over the city! You can use them either by giving 1 TL or by using the Istanbul Card.
15 - Kids
- Turks love all kids… So don’t misunderstand their warm behavior!.
16 - Allergic
- Istanbul is a city full of cats and dogs. So in case you are allergic, bring your medication treatment.
17- Solo women
- Solo women Travellers will feel absolutely safe in Istanbul especially using common sense during their stay. No need to walk around deserted alleys and side streets at late night hours or follow men whom they don’t know.
18 - Turks
- Turks are warm-blooded men and like to state their admiration to the opposite sex! In case you feel offended or awkward, kindly let them know and continue on your way
19 - Driving
- You have to be very careful when you try to cross the road! In Istanbul, although the drivers are very experienced, they think they have priority all times! Check twice even if the light is green for you
20 - Tourist Areas
- Especially at the touristic areas, there are men outside shops, restaurants and cafes, trying to convince you to get inside or buy something from their shop. Kindly let them know if you are not interested